Head of Product Tax
May 30, 2017
Toronto, ON, CA
May 30, 2017
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Head of Product Tax for its Toronto office, who will deliver expert technical advice to Vanguard’s growing Canadian business on tax matters impacting the Canadian funds and their investors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees tax aspects of developing, launching and maintaining Canadian exchange-traded or other investment funds or products.
- Advises on key tax issues relevant to Vanguard’s new product development, client service or distribution efforts in Canada.
- Collaborates with others in Vanguard’s global tax function to ensure other tax matters relevant to Vanguard’s business in Canada are appropriately covered.
- Develops and maintains robust tax compliance function for Canadian funds, in collaboration with outside service providers and internal Vanguard groups.
- Oversees third-party service providers providing tax-related services to the Canadian funds or business.
- Reviews and monitors international, federal and provincial tax legislation and regulations to ensure compliance with current requirements, assess potential future impacts, and provide updates to internal clients and management.
- Participates in key external industry groups (e.g., Canadian ETF Association) and maintains relationships with peers at other investment managers to keep abreast of industry developments and practices.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field. Professional accounting accreditation (CPA) or member of the bar or law society of a Canadian province highly preferred.
- At least 5-8 years of relevant experience, preferably in the area of investment funds and asset management in an accounting firm or law firm or in industry.
- Successful tax risk management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a high-volume, fast-paced environment working with multiple and diverse responsibilities.
- Strong problem identification and resolution skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external clients.
- Knowledgeable in current and future tax policies, trends and information affecting Vanguard’s business.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills/presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with senior management, as well as various levels of staff and management across the organization.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to think strategically.
Vanguard welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.