Associate Counsel/Manager – ERISA
June 22, 2017
Malvern, PA, US
June 22, 2017
Vanguard is a leading provider of financial products and services to individual and institutional investors world-wide. Known for its strong ethical business practices and client focus, Vanguard fosters a collaborative, team-oriented environment that recognizes and rewards distinguished individual performance. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a highly skilled attorney to lead our contracts team within the Institutional Investor Group Legal department and negotiate Vanguard’s contracts and agreements for key prospects and clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports and develops key Legal Department relationships with Vanguard’s Institutional Investor Group, which provides retirement plan recordkeeping and investment services and products to institutional clients and their employees.
- Drafts and negotiates legal documents and other items of legal significance, as necessary, such as contracts, trust agreements, letters of understanding, memoranda, position statements, correspondence, regulatory filings and other documents and instruments.
- Manages and develops staff by providing guidance, training and motivation. Evaluates and counsels staff by coaching, providing feedback and setting and applying performance standards in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Works closely with internal clients to define and document Vanguard’s full service recordkeeping offer to retirement plans and participants.
- Provides advice, counseling and education to internal clients to comply with, navigate and raise awareness of applicable legal issues, policies, regulations and laws, including ERISA and other retirement laws.
- Conducts legal and/or factual research as necessary to support the needs and initiatives of the company.
- Ensures that legal matters implicating areas across the company are adequately addressed by recognizing legal issues when they arise, bringing those issues to the right people in the Legal Department and, where necessary, coordinating responses to internal clients to ensure that all legal concerns are addressed in a clear and consistent manner.
- Contributes to the Legal Department’s other projects, endeavors and standards by modeling and exemplifying the Legal Department’s standards (through work ethic, responsiveness to clients, attitude, adherence to the Vanguard Code of Ethics and exercise of good judgment).
- Maintains a high level of expertise in applicable areas of the law, Vanguard’s business, and the industry by attending functions discussing our business, keeping current on industry and regulatory developments, and fostering an interest in Vanguard’s initiatives, new products and services.
- The ideal candidate will be a business-focused, intellectually curious legal counselor who thrives when dealing with ambiguity; has a track record of commitment and significant accomplishment; and demonstrates excellent judgment, creativity, technical expertise, breadth of vision, initiative and superior communication skills.
- The candidate must share the values of Vanguard as an institution, including unmatched ethical standards, teamwork, client service, work ethic and attitude.
- The candidate must be skilled at successfully collaborating with, enabling and working through others. The candidate should possess sufficient business, financial and legal sophistication to relate to, work with and influence team members, in-house corporate partners and business clients at all levels, as well as senior management, regulators and outside counsel.
- A strong knowledge of contracts law and experience with negotiating contracts is essential. Experience with retirement plan issues arising under ERISA and the Tax Code and data security and privacy matters is preferred. The candidate should have a minimum of 7 years of relevant law firm, industry or government agency experience.
- Law degree (J.D. or equivalent) required.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.