Senior Product Manager – Fixed Income
Malvern, PA, US
July 11, 2017
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Senior Fixed Income Product Manager for their Product Management team in the Portfolio Review Department. Vanguard is based on a simple but revolutionary idea — that a mutual fund company should be managed in the sole interest of its investors. To ensure that the interests of investors always come first, Vanguard is owned by the Vanguard funds, which in turn are owned by the investors. We’re still the only company structured this way. Today, we state our mission broadly: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
The Product Management team serves as the hub of specialized product expertise for our clients across business lines. Product Management is responsible for analyzing fund health, fund usage, the competitive landscape and market dynamics. Product Management supports clients and client-facing employees through client meetings and product trainings. Product Management recommends improvements to products based on analysis and feedback from clients. Finally, Product Management works with our investment management teams, businesses and marketing organizations to position products and to create go-to-market strategies for new products.
The Senior Fixed Income Product Manager will be responsible for representing Vanguard’s fixed income products, including our Bond Index and Taxable Money Market products, to clients. This position will work closely with Vanguard Fixed Income Group’s investment teams in order to represent our investment process and to position our products. They will critically assess how these products are performing in the marketplace, and how we are positioned relative to the competition. They will use the information they gain through these activities to champion recommendations that would improve a client’s experience as an investor in our funds.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Leads analyses of investment product issues confronting Vanguard’s Taxable fixed income products (e.g., new products, product improvements, mergers/liquidations). Leverages and manages cross-functional teams as required. Prepares and presents strategic analyses and recommendations to senior management at various forums.
- Acts as the Vanguard spokesperson for the product category with the press and industry liaisons. Attends and presents at industry conferences and client specific events related to the funds in your product category. Publishes thought leadership commentary in support of the Vanguard product lineup. Oversees the creation of dynamic content and technical marketing used to position Vanguard investment products and to respond to investor queries. Contributes to new product launches in partnership with Product Strategy teams, and develops go-to-market strategies with Vanguard’s marketing teams.
- Provides investment support and guidance to relationship management and sales teams on the product category; participates in meetings with financial advisors, plan sponsors, intermediaries, and high net worth individual investors.
- Supports business line investment product research agendas to enhance client experience and business results. Contributes to business specific asset management committees to share information about your suite of products and to help the businesses prioritize initiatives related to those products. Also works with our corporate financial teams to inform product pricing.
- Undergraduate economics or finance degree; MBA and/or CFA preferred
- Minimum eight years of industry experience; investment experience preferred
- Fixed income asset class expertise
- Excellent relationship management, collaboration and influence skills
- Highly developed analytical skills and thorough understanding of capital markets
- Proven experience communicating complicated investment topics to sophisticated clients
- Demonstrated record of initiative and career advancement and the ability to work independently at a high level
- Superior interpersonal, writing, and presentation skills; ability to build trust and work effectively with senior management and internal and external partners at all levels
- Series 7 and 63 (or ability to obtain within 6 months).