Senior Tax Lead
January 18, 2018
Malvern, PA, US
January 18, 2018
To provide tax support to Vanguard’s funds, products and offshore entities, Fund Tax Director and management, legal counsel, fund accounting and securities lending, and members of tax team as necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises and reviews timely filing of all domestic federal tax compliance related to mutual funds, trusts and international subsidiaries and plans and prioritizes work for Tax Analysts/Sr. Tax Analysts. Coordinates and reviews up to date ASC 740 documentation and support of RIC qualification. Assists in GAAP tax provisions, reviewing footnote disclosure items and responding to audit inquiries.
- Oversees the monitoring of cross-border taxation and international tax compliance for Vanguard products with investments domiciled in over 100 jurisdictions. Assists Portfolio Managers, PRD and other groups regarding the tax impacts to funds, index tracking and shareholders of international tax laws. Supervises and reviews all international tax withholding filings, European Court of Justice (ECJ) reclaim filings, treaty filings, and tax registrations. Assists with responses to international tax audits.
- Oversees coordination and timely advice to other business units related to US taxation of mergers and acquisitions. Reviews Tax Analyst/Sr. Tax Analyst research and recommendations on merger and acquisition transactions utilizing the Internal Revenue Code and Regulations and a variety of other sources.
- Advises Vanguard’s business departments as those groups seek to ensure their practices and procedures comply with applicable federal and international tax laws and regulations. Assists with developing tax strategies to build out and refine product and service offerings. Establishes and maintains excellent working relationships with peers, management and internal clients. Responds to business area inquiries and communicates technical information clearly and concisely through verbal and written communications.
- Contributes actively to the development and growth of other analysts and provides technical guidance and on-the-job training as needed. Invests time and energy to understand all team functions. Is willing to cover for team mates and capable of supporting management in times of high volumes or stress.
- Proactively monitors the legislative and regulatory landscape for tax related developments. Identifies and assesses impact of regulatory changes and implements changes to people, process, and technology. Attends industry and vendor conferences to stay abreast of changes and understand industry impact and response. Researches and prepares/reviews tax technical memos, including preparation of pre-audit documentation.
- Develops and maintains expertise in the fields of Mutual Fund and Investment taxation. Continually develops knowledge of the investment industry and global tax landscape.
- Exemplifies commitment to qualify by leveraging VUE efforts. Attends requisite personal and technical training and understands links to Department, Division and corporate dashboards. Proactively seeks ways to improve current processes and workflows that enhance overall effectiveness and efficiency.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance, preferred or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum five or more years of tax experience preferred.
- Graduate degree and or professional certification such as CPA and Masters in Tax strongly preferred.
- A broad knowledge and perspective of Vanguard business preferred. Experience in financial services industry or consulting preferred.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong listening and probing skills. Deadline-oriented with the ability to perform under pressure and manage competing priorities.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.