Acceleration into Financial Professional Program
Malvern, PA, US
August 14, 2017
Vanguard has a long-standing reputation of integrity – we always put clients’ interests first. A key driver of our brand is our high-performing crew. Vanguard’s Acceleration into Financial Professional Program (AFP) serves as a way to accelerate our identification and development of future professionals and leaders for our Finance Division. As a division that serves the organization internally, Finance seeks to deliver strategic insight to support business decisions, transactional excellence in corporate financial reporting, risk and control environments, as well as mutual fund operational services. We want the next generation of financial experts to be integral parts of actualizing our mission.
If you are a knowledgeable, motivated college senior, who shares our enthusiasm for finance, AFP can support your career through a well-defined, hands-on rotational program.
By rotating through various departments, participants will deepen their understanding of the role of finance in the enterprise. AFP participants will experience 1:1 career coaching and development, attend Vanguard University soft-skill and technical-skill courses, and receive on-the-job training, all to equip them to take on the most challenging and ambiguous finance situations the industry may present.
About the program:
AFP immerses participants in multiple, key finance functions of a mutual fund company during a two-year time frame. You and your colleagues will learn about managing projects, combating business objective impediments, and using analytical skills for decision making and risk mitigation.
The rotations you’ll complete will include functions in such areas as:
- Financial Planning and Analysis, which provides analytical support for business decision-making. Assignments are business fiscal planning, financial modeling for projects or corporate initiatives, and internal reporting on Vanguard business unit performance.
- Corporate Accounting, Treasury and Controllers, which prepares Vanguard’s financial statements, oversees the organization’s fulfillment of financial obligations, and application of accounting policy. Assignments can include support of reporting corporate financial performance, cash management, liquidity management functions, and accounting controls.
- Fund Financial Services, which provides the middle-office, back-office, and information management support for all of Vanguard’s investment products. Assignments could include fund accounting, trade support and reconciliation, treasury operations, corporate actions, and pricing functions for Vanguard’s domestic and international fund and ETF products.
- Internal Audit and Enterprise Risk Management, which seeks to safeguard the company by working with clients to manage business risk as either independent auditors or embedded business support. Assignments could include SAS 70 auditing, risk-based audits, and risk-control consulting within any Vanguard department and divisions.
- Global Tax, which serves as a center of excellence for enterprise tax policy implementation and execution. Rotations would provide exposure to global tax considerations across Vanguard operations including fund operations and business unit operations globally.
- Strategic Services, a divisional transformation hub, which offers strategic shared service functions in supplier management, corporate and real estate facilities management, and Finance technology implementation. Assignments span functional and transformation specific project management to support the evolving nature of Finance.
- A supplemental Vanguard business line experience, which offers the opportunity to support a client-facing area and gain a contrasting perspective of Vanguard’s businesses.
Upon successful completion of the program, you’ll be launched into one of the following positions based on your strengths, our business needs, and your long-term professional goals:
- Corporate financial analyst
- Fund financial analyst
- Fund financial supervisor
- Project lead or specialist
To ensure your success, you will receive the following support:
- Several weeks of intensive training on the financial industry and Vanguard’s investment philosophy, products, and services.
- Partnerships with Finance Division professionals who are committed to your growth and success.
- Exposure to diverse departments and challenging assignments.
- Ongoing training at Vanguard University®, our on-site educational facility.
- Mentoring relationships with members of senior management.
- Opportunities to build strategic working relationships and a strong network with program participants and Vanguard colleagues.
- Performance reviews and constructive feedback.
The ideal candidate is a graduating senior who possesses:
- A bachelor’s degree is required. Majors in finance, accounting, economics, mathematics, data analytics, or statistics are preferred.
- Ability to work well independently and as a part of a team.
- Professional demeanor with clients, colleagues, and management.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher preferred.
- Effective communication, analytical, leadership, and problem-solving skills.
Sound like you? Apply now!
Note: Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position. Additionally, employment is contingent on a successful drug-screening result