Investment Data Manager
Malvern, PA, US
August 28, 2017
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads and manages staff, creating an engaged and positive team atmosphere. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hires, evaluates and counsels personnel. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards, as required. Sets challenging performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Partners with global peers and enterprise Leadership to establish, monitor, and ensure balance for local and global data management strategy, governance policies, and procedures. Ensure business team is consistently following global data operating standards. Leverage technology and other infrastructure components to drive consistency and operational excellence.
- Manages IDM through the use of metrics, and uses available data to identify problems, monitor progress, and measure success. Evaluates and analyzes global data business needs to efficiently plan and deliver quality data solutions. Prioritizes initiatives which will close identified business opportunities to maximize business performance and mitigate risk.
- Addresses complex business needs through the identification and sponsorship of appropriate internal and external products and services. Partners with IT Technology teams and oversees and participates in the planning and strategic development of all data-related technology projects. Provides oversight and subject matter-expertise through to execution and provides sign-off on technology/product requirements and releases.
- Collaborates closely with FFS Leadership, FFS Business Partners, and enterprise consumers to fully understand their needs and concerns in the data space. Acts as senior point of contact for external providers and other interested parties. Makes sound decisions – based on understanding of processes, technology, and operational concepts – when evaluating complex requests, data issues, and opportunities in workflow.
- Demonstrates initiative and innovation by independently identifying and supporting the data analysts to deliver solutions which enable scalability and cost effectiveness for FFS. Develops creative solutions for resolving issues, overcoming obstacles, and improving overall quality.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of financial markets, securities, and global investment data themes to bring an informed perspective to the data management process and help drive strategies. Partner with leadership team to create IDM strategy and implement vision/operating model.
- Supports the incorporation and application of VUE discipline to problem solving and leads by example; leverages tools and techniques and influences the organization by using data and metrics to improve processes and the client and business partner experience.
- Participates/leads in special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
The FFS Investment Data Manager position is a high impact role as Fund Financial Services is embarking on a multi-year transformation as part of the FFS2020 program. In addition to leading an enterprise data management team, this leader will be on the forefront representing the business in key decisions, implementation and leading the organization through significant change. The team is currently multi-site (PA/AZ) with a direction to scale toward global operations in different regions. This is an ideal role for an candidate who is interested in leading broad organizational change and the desire to gain more international experience and multi-site leadership. In addition, the change management ramifications of leading a group of 20+ crew through this change will be a great learning experience and career builder.
Data management continues to be an organizational focus and priority (one of the largest spends of the FFS 2020 program). This space continues to grow in complexity and scale. The candidate will be on the cutting edge of new technology and an enterprise service model as we look for opportunities to collaborate data activities between several teams across the organization.
- Undergraduate degree required. Graduate degree and/or relevant certifications (CFA, PMP, Six Sigma, Dip PM, IMC) preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant work, job, training experience where you have developed or exercised the appropriate skills in preparation for a role within Financial Services.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant leadership experience directly or indirectly in developing / mentoring individuals.
- Minimum of 5 years of formal project management experience initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing a project to achieve specific business outcomes (values).
- Demonstrated ability to function in a fast paced, ambiguous environment working with multiple and diverse responsibilities with varying scope and impact.
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about equity, fixed income and investment data.
- Proven ability to develop and manage crew.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Exceptional conceptual thinking and technical skills.
- Strong analytical skills and understanding of processes and technology.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate at all levels including external providers and internal business clients.
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong persuasion and influence skills; ability to navigate and build buy-in across a matrix structure.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.