Head of Security Strategy & Management
Malvern, PA, US
September 15, 2017
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages staff. Provides guidance, training, and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hires, terminates, evaluates, and counsels personnel. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback and recommends wage increases/adjustments in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures
2. Directs the evaluation of Vanguard’s security capabilities, identifies enhancement opportunities and monitors improvement efforts. Maintains strategy document and a multi-year capabilities roadmap in collaboration with the security program function. Set departmental/team vision and develop strategy in alignment with overall security sub-division strategy
3. Oversees alignment of the Security program strategy and implementation at the business and regional level to the overall organizational strategy; manages the business and regional enablement managers to build stakeholder relationships across the business and regional organizations.
4. Evaluates the effectiveness of the business security coordination function and makes enhancements as necessary in order to better serve the needs of the business and the security organization
5. Leads management on department strategy, planning, status, and other issues. Effectively communicates strategies and plans to all appropriate parties and ensures that options and changes are communicated in a timely manner. Gains confidence of others and utilizes “plain talk” concepts in explaining key technical aspects.
6. Owns the policy lifecycle management process related to the development, monitoring, enforcement, and exception management for Security policies. Maintains an understanding of Vanguard’s business strategy and key business initiatives that Security will need to enable. Develops and enforces standards and policies worldwide for compliance with government rules, regulations, laws and treaties regarding security / privacy requirements.
7. Oversees the Project Management Office and evaluates effectiveness implementing enhancements as necessary in order to better serve the needs of strategic projects that are being supported by the Security organization. Implement and maintain a project management framework for planning, implementation and governance of security sub-division projects
8. Reviews and enhance the effectiveness of translating the overall Security strategy to specialized areas that are managed by the Security Program Owners.
9. Designs, develops, and reports accurately on the performance and risks tracked by the Security organization through use of KPIs, KRIs, and reports. Maintains an understanding of key trends, best practices and challenges in their department.
10. Establishes a culture that encourages safety and security within Vanguard through effective security training and communication.
11. Oversees the effectiveness of the interaction of the Vanguard Security organization with regulatory and compliance bodies.
12. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years related experience. Prior people leader experience preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including interviewing and presentation skills.
- Excellent analysis and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated thought leadership in technical and business situations.
- Knowledge of the financial services industry and strong business acumen considered a plus
- Strong relationship management and influence and persuasion skills.
- Experience in managing interaction with peer organizations, regulators, and compliance bodies is preferred.
- Certifications: One or more of CISSP, CISM, CISA, or PMP or other relevant certifications required as per the role.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.