Senior Investment Consultant
September 28, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ, US
September 28, 2017
To act as the senior investment consultant for current and prospective Vanguard Institutional Advisory Services (VIAS) clients (endowments, foundations, defined benefit plans, and corporate asset pools), providing portfolio and investment analysis, consulting and research.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as senior investment consultant for assigned Institutional Advisory clients, representing VFS investment and advisory capabilities to key decision makers, investment committees, and Board members. Works closely with Sales (corporate and nonprofit teams)to effectively position VIAS with prospective clients.
- Advises clients on asset allocation, portfolio construction, and fund selection decisions. Consults with clients in the development or adaptation of investment policy statements. Provides discretionary portfolio management and nondiscretionary investment consulting to assigned client base.
- Conducts investment reviews for the client’s various asset pools (DB, DC, Corporate Assets), (e.g.. market, portfolio, and fund performance, portfolio construction, and asset allocation) and conducts subsequent meetings with the client’s investment committees and boards.
- Represents Vanguard at industry conferences and events and at Vanguard client symposiums by speaking on a broad range of investment topics of interest to Institutional investment professionals.
- Keeps abreast of investment process and performance of existing Vanguard funds as well as market conditions and developments. Works with colleagues in Portfolio Review Department to review Vanguard active fund performance and external subadvisor relationships. Maintains deep awareness of the industry and the competition. Responds to investment-related questions from existing and prospective VIAS clients.
- Develops a working understanding of the industries in which clients operate.
- Manages and understands individual client’s needs by framing the benefits of our service and approach and pro-actively fulfilling those needs in a way that consistently exceeds client expectations. Continues (on an ongoing basis) to enhance skills.
- Consults with defined benefit plan sponsors to develop and appropriate investment strategy that reflects the plans funded status and client objectives for the plan; partners with client’s actuary on actuarial and accounting issues. Consults with nonprofit organizations, integrating the investment strategy with the legal, regulatory, spending and liquidity issues that they face. Develops deep understanding of issues facing both defined benefit plans and nonprofit organizations.
- Delivers results of asset allocation studies generated by the Vanguard Capital Markets Model. Represents VIAS and the Institutional client viewpoint in the development and enhancement of Vanguard’s advisory methodology. Collaborates with colleagues in Investment Counseling & Research and the Investment Strategy Group on investment philosophy and portfolio strategies.
- Acts as a VIAS investment team liaison to senior management and other areas of Vanguard.
- Works collaboratively with VIAS, IAM and IRPS relationship managers to develop targeted client strategies, which are then delivered as a team.
- Articulates Vanguard’s points of view on a variety of investment-related research papers/topics published by IC&R.
- Serves as a leader, mentor, role model, and technical resource to VFS Investment Analysts.
- Participates in corporate, departmental and business special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in finance-related field or equivalent combination of training and experience. MBA and/or specialized financial accreditation such as CFP, CIMA or CFA preferred.
- Minimum ten years work experience including five years in an investment analyst/consultant/counselor position.
- Superior technical skills related to investment analysis preferred.
- Experience with endowments, foundation and defined benefit plans preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong presentation skills.
- Proven experience with external clients and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences.
- Superior desktop computing skills including spreadsheet capabilities, database knowledge, and other analytical applications preferred.
Approximately 20% travel required.
Direct impact on large (million $) endowments, foundations or defined benefits plans clients.