Fintech Data Analytics Manager
November 28, 2017
Malvern, PA, US
November 28, 2017
To support the Investment Management Fintech Strategies (IMFS) mission of exploring technologies that could dramatically improve investment performance or make capital markets work better, and to embed a culture of innovation in the Investment Management Group. (IMG). This manager leads a team that supports the Investment Management businesses and their strategic imperatives through creation, experimentation, and implementation of emerging advanced analytics and financial technology solutions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages staff. Provides guidance, training, and motivation necessary to develop staff. Hires, evaluates, and counsels personnel. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback and recommends wage increases and adjustments in accordance with applicable HR policies and procedures, and administers disciplinary action when needed in accordance with Vanguard HR policies.
- Attracts and develops diverse and specialized crew, and maintains a high performance culture. Provides guidance, training, and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Supports the development of the data science and analytical skills of staff that raise the capabilities of the IMFS team and other crew across Vanguard. Supports and facilitates technical and leadership career development of staff.
- Plans long term data strategy, experimentation, and big data tools and architecture with other IMFS leaders, senior leaders in IMG, and stakeholders across the enterprise.
- Communicates the status of experimentation efforts to any level of management. Plans long term development and architecture with senior investment managers and stakeholders.
- Conceptualizes, plans, and drives development of new financial analytic processes for IMG using Big Data technologies, including new data sources, new analytical tools, and new technologies.
- Develops and manages financial technology engagement with internal stakeholders. Identifies and coordinates key development initiatives, and organizes resources to advance the development of ideas.
- Develops and manages financial technology engagement with external partners, including identifying potential partners and big data technologies globally that may be relevant to IMFS.
- Explores developing financial technologies and data science techniques and machine learning applications.
- Produces thorough, insightful, concise analysis and reports for department and senior management.
- Continues to develop deep knowledge of financial markets, market structure changes, in order to bring an informed perspective to current financial technology landscape.
- Provides thought leadership, develops thought leaders, and takes a lead role in defining financial technology strategies. Acts as an innovation evangelist across the enterprise. Builds and maintains strategic working relationships with key IMG stakeholders, and ensures strong partnerships across the enterprise.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline strongly preferred.
- Minimum ten years’ experience in a technical or related financial discipline or combination of education and certifications.
- Minimum five years leadership experience, preferably leading technical expert teams in IT or analytical discipline.
- Expert understanding of system design architecture, including data modeling techniques, OOP and design patterns.
- Understanding of supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques and their business applications.
- Understanding of and role each of the following play: R, Python (Numpy, SciKit, Pandas, ML libraries ), Spark (and MLlib), Scala, Big Data technologies and ecosystems (AWS EMR, Apache, etc).
- Ability to work independently with minimal or no direction.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative and fast paced/high pressure environment. Proactive, motivated, and results driven.
- Excellent communication skills to interact with portfolio managers, key stakeholders and internal clients and external vendors. Strong written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and professional presence.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to think strategically, to build and execute.
- Proven experience working in a flexible, fast-paced environment. Ability to manage multiple priorities and multiple small projects simultaneously.