Senior Fintech Data Analytics Manager
November 28, 2017
Malvern, PA, US
November 28, 2017
To support the Investment Management Fintech Strategies (IMFS) mission of exploring technologies that could dramatically improve investment performance or make capital markets work better, and to embed a culture of innovation in the Investment Management Group. (IMG) The role champions needs for more unique financial data strategies and development of advanced data technology solutions processes and recommends and prioritizes implementation solutions impacting IMG and all of Vanguard.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages staff. Provides guidance, training, and motivation necessary to develop staff. Hires, evaluates, and counsels personnel. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback and recommends wage increases and adjustments in accordance with applicable HR policies and procedures, and administers disciplinary action when needed in accordance with Vanguard HR policies.
- Attracts and develops diverse and specialized crew, and maintains a high performance culture. Provides guidance, training, and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Supports the development of the data science and analytical skills of staff that raise the capabilities of the IMFS team and other crew across Vanguard. Supports and facilitates technical and leadership career development of staff.
- Provides expert leadership and understanding of the experimentation, implementation, architecture, and elevations of new and existing data strategies.
- Plans long term data strategy, experimentation, and architecture with senior investment managers and stakeholders. Oversees research and development of internal data experimentation and techniques.
- Conceptualizes, plans, and drives development of new financial analytic techniques for IMG using Big Data technologies
- Partners and consults with senior management to deliver analytical insights on Vanguard’s investment process.
- Develops relationships and collaborates across divisions and regions to manage financial technology engagement, coordinate key development initiatives, and execute resource planning for implementation.
- Establishes, maintains and evolves the framework, strategy, and development of data analytic initiatives and techniques to support the Investment Management group. Sets performance standards, coordinates project budgets, developments and drives idea generation
- Leads a process to coordinate and identify needs for analytics technology investments and on-going support. Partners with Investment Management stakeholders and IT to develop and allocate budgets to implement and support solutions. Provides inputs to business planning for broader resource investments and client needs
- Explores developing financial technologies and data science techniques and machine learning applications.
- Provides thought leadership, develops thought leaders, and takes a lead role in defining financial technology strategies. Acts as an innovation evangelist across the enterprise. Builds and maintains strategic working relationships with key IMG stakeholders, and ensures strong partnerships across the enterprise. Continues to develop deep knowledge of financial markets, market structure changes, in order to bring an informed perspective to current financial technology landscape.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline strongly preferred. Pursuing or achieved professional certifications strongly preferred.
- Minimum fifteen years experience in a technical or related financial discipline or combination of education and certifications.
- Minimum ten years leadership experience, preferably leading technical expert teams in IT or analytical discipline.
- Experienced with supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques and their business applications.
- Understanding of and role each of the following play: R, Python (Numpy, SciKit, Pandas, ML libraries ), Spark (and MLlib), Scala, Big Data technologies and ecosystems (AWS EMR, Apache, etc).
- Excellent communication and influence skills, able to navigate, persuade and build buy-in across key divisional stakeholders in IMG, IT, Legal, and other areas. Ability to easily convey complex information between the business and Information Technology.
- Blend of the above data science and analytics skills with sound business strategy and planning. Ability to translate complex data concepts and financial technology solutions into executable programs and deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical and analytical complexities and solutions in clear, understandable insights and strategies. Exceptional conceptual, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Self-starter, motivated, independent, versatile team player and work well under pressure. Must be able to work in a collaborative and occasionally high pressure environment.
- Proven experience working in a flexible, fast-paced environment. Ability to manage multiple priorities and multiple small projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently with minimal or no direction.