Data Science Developer – Intermediate
December 7, 2017
Malvern, PA, US
December 7, 2017
CAI IT is looking for a developer to partner with the CAI Data Scientists and Data Engineers to operationalize models and deliver insights to the business. This exciting opportunity will provide the ideal candidate with the opportunity to learn new languages, gain experience working and developing applications in the cloud and become a valuable member of the Data Science community at Vanguard.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides intermediate level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for mainframe-, client/server-, Web-, and/or PC-based software or middleware. Integrates third party products.
- Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or enhancement projects for internal clients. Develops code and test artifacts that reuse subroutines or objects, is well structured, backed by automated tests, includes sufficient comments and is easy to maintain. Writes programs, appropriate test artifacts, ad hoc queries, and reports. Employs contemporary software development techniques to ensure tests are implemented in a way that supports automation.
- Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule. Provides follow up Production support. Submits change control requests and documents.
- Follows software development methodology. Follows architecture standards.
- Participates in design, code, and test Inspections throughout life cycle to identify issues. Participates in other meetings, such as those for use case creation.
- Participates in systems analysis activities, including system requirements analysis and definition (e.g., prototyping), and logical and physical design.
- Writes the system/technical portion of assigned deliverables, including the Version Description Document. Assists technical team members with the system/technical portion of their deliverables (e.g.,systems testers, test plans). On small teams, the developer may write these items.
- Understands client business functions and technology needs. Understands Vanguard’s tools, technologies, and applications/databases, including those that interface with business area and systems.
- Complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones. Complies with all Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Experience in designing, developing, integrating and running business, big data and/or data science applications
- Knowledge of data engineering and experience with big data
- Background in Big Data, Distributed Computing, Analytics
- Knowledge of SQL and No-SQL databases and scalable data extraction tools (Cassandra, MongoDB)
- Experience developing, testing and deploying microservices
- Certification in AWS or any other cloud provider
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Understanding of software engineering processes and system development life cycles
- Experience with Python, R, Scala, Spark, and/or SAS, Java
- Experience building, deploying and scaling applications in AWS or any other cloud environment
- Linux and shell scripting expertise
- Strong problem solving skills and capability to understand and set direction for complex technology integration
- Understanding and focus on business outcomes
- Strong teamwork skills
- Experience with Atlassian, Git Hub, or any other version control tool suite
Vanguard is not offering sponsorship for this position.