The culture of The Vanguard Group has always been distinctive compared to those of other financial institutions. “Clients. Crew. Community.” is what we are all about – a surprisingly novel mantra which has built Vanguard’s sturdy foundation as not only the world’s largest mutual fund firm, but in our opinion, one of the world’s best places to work. Here is some corporate culture insight we’ve gained since interning at Vanguard:
- They are focused on YOUR strengths and personal development
- From the phone interview to offering you the internship, Vanguard is committed to place you in an area where you will thrive. One of the first things you do as an intern is take the Strengths Finder 2.0 program to help you better understand your strengths and how you can leverage them in your career. From there, you sit with your manager one-on-one and discuss your interests and brainstorm what you would like your focus to be for the internship.
- They foster an incredibly open and collaborative environment
- “Let’s grab coffee” is encouraged at Vanguard and serves as a way for crew to engage with one another and find potential career interests outside of their own department. This is made easier by senior leaders’ willingness to meet with interns and share their unique perspectives on Vanguard and their particular roles. They understand what it is like to be in your shoes and make it a priority to get to know you. Even John Bogle, the founder of Vanguard, can be found meeting with us!
(Vanguard Founder, Jack Bogle, meeting a group of excited interns!)
- They leverage diversity and inclusion to the fullest potential
- As an intern at Vanguard, you will quickly realize that you are surrounded by a group of incredibly talented individuals, much like yourself. You will also realize how diverse these individuals are – studying disciplines from economics to computer engineering to political science and hailing from all around the country. Vanguard makes it a point to harness this diversity and create community amongst the interns by hosting trips into the city of Philadelphia, competitive sack racing events and weekly lunch-ins with the entire cadre of 90+ interns!