Research Data Scientist
Malvern, PA, US
September 24, 2018
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Leads and executes analytic projects to provide insight into client needs and behavior, supporting marketing and client servicing decisions. Serves as the analytics expert on cross functional teams for large strategic initiatives. Serves as own Project Manager and Relationship Manager for smaller projects.
2. Research new and innovative techniques and methods to solve machine learning problems, supporting strategic business goals.
3. Being able to drive and use stat-of-the-art machine learning techniques e.g.: deep learning, NLP, recommendation engines, fraud detection, temporal data mining, probabilistic inference, others.
4. Being able to work with a team of data scientist to carve our new research that supports ongoing and future analytical capabilities. Produces innovative solutions through the use of advanced data analytics from complex and high-dimensional datasets.
5. Prepares and delivers insight presentations and action recommendations. Communicates complex material in layman’s terms. Guides business partners on the interpretation, implications and use of analytic results.
6. Develops and applies domain knowledge of Vanguard’s businesses and data to shape the analytic road map.
7. Contributes to the growth of the analytic community. Mentors analysts.
8. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as required.
* MS degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering, Operations Research, Physics, or other relevant scientific field. PhD degree preferred.
* A minimum of five years general experience and five years relevant professional experience in progressive analytical roles.
* Deep understanding and experience building models using Machine Learning & Optimization methods such as: Linear/Non-Linear/Integer programming, Deep Learning, Random Forests, GBM, Hidden Markov Models, SVM, Regression (Generalized linear models), MLE, Time-series analysis, Signal Processing, Tree based models, Neural Networks.
* Demonstrated industry experience applying the above methods to complex business problems thereby generating insights and providing best in class customer-driven solutions
* Demonstrated experience in managing and leading large complex projects, including (but not limited to) formulating the business and analytical problem, extracting, cleansing, and manipulating large, and diverse data sets, building descriptive, predictive and prescriptive solutions and deploying these solutions in the cloud and/or on premise systems
* Demonstrated experience in communicating complex analytical solutions, data relationships and results and their business impacts to multiple business partners and stakeholders, through superior data visualization and storytelling skills.
* Strong proficiency in programming skills, such as SAS, Python, R, Spark, Scala, Tensorflow, CAFFE, familiarity with word embeddings, scikit learn, Graph databases, AWS and cloud environments.
* Knowledge of financial services and marketing.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.