Head of Category Management – Information Technology (IT)
Malvern, PA, US
August 2, 2018
Our strong focus on value creation across the enterprise is equaled by our unwavering commitment to creating a culture and environment that maximizes the impact and potential of crew, and develops future generations of leaders in the organization.
Vanguard’s Finance division is a talent destination for exceptional financial professionals looking to be part of a best-in-class organization that is one of Vanguard’s most trusted voices. The Supply Management team within the Finance Division is currently seeking a Senior Category Manager specializing in Information Technology.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and develop technical specialists (Category Strategists) with demonstrated expertise in sourcing third-party suppliers within the Information Technology (IT) category. Hire, evaluate and counsel personnel. Set performance standards, review performance, provide regular and ongoing feedback.
- Acts as thought leader who develops and executes long-term strategies related to the selection and management of third-party suppliers. Develops strategic proposals based on optimal product concentrations and ideal vendor relationships to drive maximum value.
- Leads complex sourcing engagements and/or guides sourcing professionals for complex sourcing engagements.
- Participates in negotiations as a Vanguard expert in the IT category. Provides input to supplier performance evaluations, and supplier corrective actions.
- Develops/refines vendor strategy using industry analysis, vendor performance, and cost models supported by deep expertise of suppliers and industry.
- Collaborates with business unit leaders to understand business unit objectives.
- Participates in annual sourcing pipeline planning with Finance Directors and Divisions.
- Engages risk stakeholders as needed for sourcing activity.
- Ensures best practices in the sourcing process are followed. Develops, refines, and manages tactical and strategic policies and procedures. Develops continuous improvement programs.
- Identifies, evaluates, and develops new reliable sources for existing or new products where vendors are inadequate.
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of Vanguard and industry knowledge by keeping current on Vanguard, fund, industry, and regulatory events.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- 10+ years’ experience working in a category-relevant organization, including 5+ years extensive experience working with vendors and including credible experience negotiating with large vendors
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Excellent understanding of how business needs drive category requirements
- Demonstrated deep technical expertise
- Experience managing large, complex vendor relationships that cover multiple products and services
- Experience working with a diverse set of category-relevant internal business constituents
- Ability to act as a thought leader and strategic thinker to partner with stakeholders across a range of levels and organizations
- Extensive knowledge of market characteristics, cost and fee structures, competitive environment and key trends
- Deep industry knowledge and experience in specific spend category (Information Technology) is critical.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.