Manager, Employee Relations
Malvern, PA, US
Scottsdale, AZ, USCharlotte, NC, US
October 17, 2018
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Hires, evaluates, and supervises a team. Provides guidance and training as necessary to develop crew. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, and makes informed compensation decisions in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
2. Leads and advances initiatives to drive the Crew Relations strategic agenda for the Internal Business Partners organizations (e.g., RIG, IIG, IT&S, FAS, IMG) or the Corporate Partners organizations (e.g., HR, Finance, International, OGC, P&D). Recommends appropriate initiatives, resolution or programs for specific crew situations.
3. Maintains knowledge of current and emerging employment relations laws, regulatory requirements, and trends and guides Crew Relations team in building their knowledge. Serves as a subject matter expert for the team in understanding, monitoring and resolving crew complaints and provides direction in defining the approach and conduct of investigations as needed.
4. Provides insights to Head of Crew Relations and helps design strategies, frameworks, policies, and processes for on-going and regular development of the Crew Relations department and offer. Ensures consistent interpretation and application of U.S. labor and employment laws and Vanguard policies. Identifies nuances in addressing crew-related issues and oversees process improvements while maintaining compliance with local regulations.
5. Takes ownership of legally complex, sensitive, and/or critical cases and partners with Head of Crew Relations to reach resolution while mitigating risk. Conducts exit interviews for senior level crew departures where needed.
6. Partners with the Head of Crew Relations to educate and guide HR leaders and crew on internal activity and external employee relations and employment law compliance requirements and related process controls.
7. Identifies and highlights benefit programs provided by HR with the highest impact to crew due to utilization and/or perceived value. Advances the ‘one HR’ offer.
8. Collaborates with Crew Relations Project Managers to assess, monitor, and manage trends for the internal business partner and/or corporate businesses, Crew Relations related controls processes, reorganizations and other related activities.
9. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Advanced degree in employment law, business or human resources preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of general experience required. Employee relations and/or employment law experience preferred. Six years of progressive experience leading teams across geographically dispersed locations preferred.
- Current good standing with the SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, HRCI PHR, or HRCI SPHR designation preferred. Successful candidate is expected to obtain and/or maintain a recognized HR designation while in the role.
- Subject matter expert in applicable state and federal employment and labor laws; enhanced knowledge of governmental compliance requirements and HR policy and risk management preferred.
- Demonstrated high EQ and ability to remain poised and professional under potentially contentious situations.
- Sensitivity in working with confidential information.
- Proven leadership competencies and demonstrated ability to influence without formal authority, ability to drive for results, decision-making, and exceptional relationship management and interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills, including planning and organizational skills. Attentive to details and deadlines; ability to manage multiple initiatives.
- There are (2) openings available. 1 position will be located in PA and the other position can be located at any US site.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.