Java Developer – Site Reliability
Malvern, PA, US
May 13, 2019
At Vanguard, we are taking a stand for our investors. As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be working closely with the Retail Environments team. We will be looking for you to help Modernizing the environments tools and technologies to support the IT strategic goals of continuous delivery and cloud migration. You’ll be automating and implementing the build and maintenance of the environments for applications. Also, you will have the opportunity to continually improving the monitoring, alerting, and automation to increase environments reliability, availability, performance, and overall system health. Are you ready to make it count?
In this role you will:
- Provides senior level system analysis, design, development, and implementation of applications and databases for client/server-, Web-and/or PC-based software or middleware. Integrates third party products.
- Translates technical specifications, and/or logical and physical design into code for new or improvement projects for internal clients. Develops code that reuses subroutines or objects, is well-structured, includes sufficient comments, and is easy to maintain. Writes programs, ad hoc queries, and reports.
- Elevates code into the development, test, and Production environments on schedule. Provides follow up Production support. Submits change control requests and documents.
- Is highly functional on large, matrixed project teams. Works with multi-functional team members, including database administrator, IT security, project manager, technical writer, and clients. Communicates systems issues at the appropriate technical level for each audience.
- Writes the system/technical portion of assigned work. Assists technical team members with their work (e.g., systems testers, test plans). On small teams, the developer may write these items.
- Builds automated solutions for systems monitoring and applications health checks while providing troubleshooting support for application and environment related issues.
Bring invention to investing
Focused on building creative user experiences, you’ll continuously deliver imaginative solutions that also satisfy business needs. Your fresh ideas will directly impact one of our strategic focus areas and help us redefine the world of mutual funds. While your analytical approach to problem-solving, underpinned by good interpersonal skills, will make you a valuable member of a collaborative team that shares ideas and solves problems in new ways. And at every stage of the process you’ll enjoy many opportunities to deepen your knowledge and widen your experience.
What it takes
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 5 years developer or systems analyst experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong, proven analysis and analytical skills.
- Strong planning and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced knowledge of the following development practices and concepts:
- Production acceptance, including elevations and change management.
- Interfaces, feeds, and event schedules.
- Quality assurance methodology and Inspections.
- Use case standards.
- Systems analysis and design techniques.
- System/subsystem requirements.
- Libraries, reusable code, and/or object oriented standards.
- Screen, report, and query design.
Specializations that will make an impact
- We expect for you to have knowledge of Linux systems and cloud platforms/providers
- We are looking for someone with scripting experience
- We expect you’ll have experience with several specified tools: Atlassian suite (Jira, Bitbucket, Bamboo, Confluence), Git, Maven, Jenkins, Splunk, Selenium, Nexus, Artifactory
- We need you to come in with strong Java Development experience
- We want you to be hands on experience with Splunk and App Dynamics
- We work closely with team in US and support US-based application and tools.
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you have the chance to get so much more in return. We invest with purpose-and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.