Tax Compliance Manager – Information Reporting
Malvern, PA, US
January 17, 2019
The Strategy and Finance division is home to Vanguard’s experts in Corporate Financial Services, Fund Financial Services, Internal Audit and Corporate Strategy. Our crew are high caliber professionals who provide financial and decision support leadership to all businesses at Vanguard across the globe. Integrity is key – as stewards of fund assets and Vanguard’s assets, we must protect data, mitigate risk, stay competitive, and proactively establish business initiatives, all while returning value to clients. Strategy and Finance is a talent destination for exceptional financial minds looking to be part of a best-in-class organization that is one of Vanguard’s most trusted voices.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Manage staff, provide guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hire, evaluate and counsel personnel. Follow corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Set performance standards, review performance, provide feedback, and recommend wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
2. Act as a strategic advisor to Vanguard’s business and tax departments as those groups seek to ensure their practices and procedures comply with applicable federal, state, and international tax laws and regulations. Provide guidance in connection with people, process, technology and regulatory changes.
3. Lead, manage, coordinate, and participate in the annual tax compliance monitoring and inspections program to achieve corporate objectives, commensurate with regulatory risk levels. Work closely with all levels of management in the planning, development and execution of short and long term goals. Handle multiple assignments simultaneously from conception through execution and until the business has implemented addressed findings. Coordinate, prioritize and actively manage tasks as needed to meet deadlines.
4. Present key findings and recommendations to business management and Global Tax management. Elevate issues, identify priorities. Track follow-up items to ensure they are appropriately resolved. Demonstrate initiative and creativity in independently recommending and implementing solutions to business contacts, senior leaders and the Tax Director.
5. Provide technical support in the development of relevant tax policies for Vanguard.
6. Proactively monitor the legislative and regulatory landscape for tax related developments and provide updates to clients and management.
7. Proactively reach out to others in Finance, Legal and Compliance to develop integrated solutions to complex and technically challenging client issues and business matters.
8. Ensure operational efficiency and effectiveness within the unit. Set measurable goals and examines ways to raise standards, to increase quality and to improve overall performance of the unit.
9. Participate in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in related field, or equivalent training and experience. CPA/MBA/MS in Taxation preferred.
- Minimum of five years tax information reporting and/or auditing experience.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a deadline oriented, fast paced and ambiguous environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work with all levels of Vanguard crew and management.
This role focuses on tax information reporting and withholding.
You should be aware this will designate you as a Fund Access Person and carries with it certain responsibilities and restrictions. For more information see the following article.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.