Senior Business Intelligence Manager
Malvern, PA, US
November 29, 2018
As a Business Intelligence Manager you will lead a team of analysts, developers and solutions leads that produce business intelligence for Vanguard’s Institutional division. The BI team is responsible for supporting business decisions, strategy development, and overseeing/managing a portfolio of strategic data projects ongoing across Institutional and the broader Vanguard enterprise.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages and drives a team of data engineers, solution leads and BI analysts to implement solutions and reports to support the Institutional business.
- Evolves and gains alignment around the IIG business intelligence vision and strategy, as well as the scope and objectives for the strategic data projects. Leverages all tools to drive visual output that is easily consumed by business leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical, regulatory, and legal requirements into a clear, understandable framework that is actionable by the business.
- Implement large-scale data ecosystems including data management, governance and the integration of structured and unstructured data to generate insights leveraging cloud-based platforms
- Provides day-to-day management of Business Intelligence analysts, developers, and solutions leads to produce analytic outputs/insights that drive significant business value through informing important business decisions and departmental/divisional goals.
- Works with all levels of leaders and crew to determine data and insights needs, and integrates these ‘data consumer’ needs into the business intelligence vision and strategy. Initiates and manages projects that are well-planned and smoothly executed, using a variety of methods specific to customer needs.
- Develops and oversees the successful completion of the portfolio of strategic business intelligence projects, and as appropriate provides project management and/or subject matter expertise throughout the projects
- Collaborates with the Data and Analytics teams across the enterprise to identify opportunities to continually evolve the D&I service offer and adopt best practices around Business Intelligence deliverables. Represents IIG BI related interests in corporate or cross-divisional initiatives. Controls aspects of projects involving legal and compliance issues, workflow and procedures, testing requirements, reporting, budget, and benefit measurement.
- Support the execution of business change management and communication plans, or ensures integration of these activities with other major programs as appropriate. Ensures highly effective communications and business readiness regarding project status and issues occur regularly to key stakeholders in a variety of forums (sponsor, division meetings, TRGs, etc.)
- Establishes metrics (i.e. business dashboards) to evaluate teams’ effectiveness and progress.
- Maintains and discovers analytical capabilities (tools/process) to improve workflow, allow end-user self provisioning, and provide enhanced data visualization.
- Assists with business planning, budgetary planning, and the development of strategic business initiatives.
- Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop crew. Hires, evaluates and counsels personnel. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback and recommends wage increases in accordance with the applicable HR policies and procedures.
- Participates in/manages special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Excellent influencing, facilitation, and partnering skills. Experience and ease in interfacing with Institutional senior leaders and other Officers across the organization.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience required, graduate degree preferred.
- Certification in AWS highly preferred.
- Minimum 8 years general business experience, with experience in data management, business intelligence, data reporting and/or similar role preferred.
- Strong understanding of business intelligence/reporting and other related data technologies to meet business needs.
- Proven ability to develop innovative solutions to complex client situations.
- Proven leadership and decision making skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication and meeting facilitation skills.
- Good business judgment and ability to quickly prioritize critical initiatives.
- Proven ability to successfully develop strong working relationships with staff and management within Vanguard.
- Be a self-starter, open-minded, desire to drive change and improve current standards.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Oversees the strategy development and planning related to strategic data projects, and provides sponsorship and subject-matter-expertise throughout the successful execution of the projects.
Manages the portfolio of current and potential analytical projects and initiatives and regularly socializes it with key business leaders, ensuring alignment with business priorities. Ensures that active projects are prioritized and sourced effectively.