Senior AI Architect
Malvern, PA, US
December 14, 2018
Career Opportunity Description
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Senior AI Architect to work with Business and IT to identify which ideas or problems could potentially be addressed using Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, and to conduct experiments and Proofs of Concept for such opportunities. For problems that pass through experimenting phase, guide the AI Engineers and IT Developers through implementation of models, including defining architecture for such solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with Business and IT to identify ideas and problems that could be opportunities to apply Machine Learning to address them. Develop high-level understanding of various Business areas and all kinds of internal and external data available at Vanguard. Prototype Machine Learning solutions to determine whether selected Business or IT opportunities could be addressed with AI/ML.
- Participates in piloting solutions based on Machine Learning approaches, guiding and advising teams through model development and implementation lifecycle.
- Assists Business in planning activities and estimating budgets for solutions that would utilize AI. Estimate efforts and resources necessary to prototype, pilot, and implement solutions based on Machine Learning.
- Contributes to defining architecture for experimenting, developing, and implementing (operationalizing) Machine Learning models.
- Follows latest Artificial Intelligence trends, including new frameworks, algorithms, tools, platforms, cloud offerings, approaches, and propose which ones should be considered at Vanguard, then participate in applicable evaluations.
- Conducts research to understand how other companies use Machine Learning. Mentor AI Engineers and Data Scientists to grow their experience and skillsets, and on proper use of Machine Learning algorithms, tools, and frameworks. Through presentations, meeting participations, team discussions, white papers – spread awareness at Vanguard of current state of AI and how other companies use Machine Learning, what might be possible to achieve with Artificial Intelligence and what might not.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Data Science with specialty on Artificial Intelligence, or equivalent combination of extensive training and experience required.
- Minimum five years of experience in industry, policy or academic research or related disciplines or work. (Experience in a Financial, Insurance, Healthcare or similar industry is a plus)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including superior professional writing and public speaking.
- An excellent team player.
- Fluent in Python, experienced with many of the other important languages used in Machine Learning and Analytics, like R, Java, Scala.
- Excellent understanding of many algorithms and approaches used in practical applications of Machine Learning, including – but not limiting to – various variants of Artificial Neural Networks and other algorithms.
- Experienced in several of the most popular Machine Learnings frameworks in use today: primarily TensorFlow, Keras, scikit-learn, plus potentially PyTorch, Apache MXnet, CNTK, and similar. Understanding key differences between them and resulting applicability areas and constrains.
- Experience in using Machine Learning / Deep Learning in the Cloud, in addition to desktop / server environments.
- Great familiarity with various AI/Machine Learning/Deep Learning cloud offerings from prime vendors, including Amazon, Microsoft, Google.
- Experience with Big Data approaches and frameworks like Spark and related libraries.
- Experience with data preparation for Analytics and ML algorithms.
- Fast learner: deep human learning will be always required, not just machine learning.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Maintains flexibility in meeting deadlines and expectations in the face of shifting priorities.
- Proven leadership, organizational, interpersonal, and project management skills required
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.