Investment Systems Technical Lead
Malvern, PA, US
December 31, 2018
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides expert level IT developer services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
2. Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team’s technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
3. Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
4. Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. Screens resumes of team members, interviews, makes hiring and assignment recommendations, and writes reviews.
5. Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members.
6. Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project’s technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
7. Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
8. Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
9. Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
10. Maintains a comprehensive understanding of Investment Management business functions (Equity, Fixed Income, ETF, Foreign Exchange, and/or OTC contracts). Combines technical and functional knowledge to produce highly functional solutions to Investment Management business problems. Has a broad understanding of Vanguard’s technologies, tools, and applications, including those that interface with business area and systems.
11. For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member’s duties, including interviewing business liaisons to diagram process flows and to write functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member’s duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
12. Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
13. Maintains a broad understanding of the roles of front, middle and back office, and designs systems to enable efficient business processes while maintaining necessary controls. Maintains a broad understanding of the roles of external partners (Custodial Banks, Brokers, and Regulatory Bodies) and designs systems to enable efficient business processes while maintaining necessary controls.
14. Identifies and decides which capabilities can be decoupled from the monolith to micro services and how to migrate incrementally.
15. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Deep core Java expertise. Ability to troubleshoot and enhance performance of the PM tool. Java SWT, caching scheme knowledge. Eclipse RCP experience would be a plus.
- Familiar with common Java design patterns.
- Experienced in migrating monolithic systems to an ecosystem of micro services, including deciding the capabilities to decouple and how to migrate incrementally.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Work well with the other staff and foster an environment of collaboration and learning. Ability to train and mentor other staff with less experience.
- 10+ years financial industry experience. Buy side preferred. CFA level1/2/3 or FINRA Series 7 a plus.
- Experienced with public cloud computing technologies.
- Experience with application development for a global user base.
- Experienced with automation testing. Cucumber a plus.
- Experienced with deployment tools. Ansible a plus.
- Knowledge of Gemfire a plus.
Vanguard is not offering sponsorship for this position.