Senior Compliance Specialist- Retail Investment Advice
Scottsdale, AZ, US
April 11, 2019
Malvern, PA, US
Scottsdale, AZ, US
April 11, 2019
This role will lead regulatory exams for VAI’s (Vanguard Advisers, Inc.) retail advice offerings, develop and maintain departmental compliance processes, support departmental projects, identify and build key relationships with business and corporate partners and support Vanguard’s retail advice compliance program by working with senior management and the Head of Retail Advice Compliance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages key Compliance Department processes by maintaining effective relationships with compliance liaisons, compliance staff, the compliance management team and the business.
- Leads, manages and oversees SEC exams, compliance inspections and projects related to Vanguard’s retail advice offerings. Handles multiple exams and projects simultaneously from conception through execution and implementation of recommendations. Coordinates, prioritizes and actively manages tasks as needed to meet exam and project timelines.
- Manages and continually improves compliance program for relevant entity by leveraging applicable regulations, risk management techniques, and business area knowledge to maintain and test relevant policies and procedures that comprise the compliance program. Anticipates, identifies and reacts to changes in regulatory requirements impacting Vanguard’s retail advice offerings.
- Develops and maintains a broad knowledge and awareness of the investment industry, regulatory and/or policy changes with potential impact on the business and the compliance program. Finds, interprets and implements directives and/or regulation that impact(s) the current compliance environment. Serves as a technical expert on applicable compliance issues.
- Manages, coordinates, and ensures readiness for regulatory examinations. Acts as a liaison with the examiners and the business; coordinates the gathering and production of requested documentation and meetings, etc. Maintains backup files for future reference.
- Maintains effective working relationships across Vanguard and with regulatory agencies by developing, maintaining, and broadening lines of communication between, and with, business leaders, the Legal Department, the Head of Retail Advice Compliance, and other control groups.
- Presents key findings and recommendations to senior management and the Head of Retail Advice Compliance. Prepares reports, identifies and tracks key measures and metrics, and designs presentations to facilitate senior management discussions.
- Partners with Office of the General Counsel colleagues to analyze and resolve potential compliance issues and changes in regulatory requirements. Protects and enhances Vanguard’s reputation through continued efforts to strengthen and improve the firm’s and individual business unit’s compliance activities.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Five to eight years of relevant business experience with a registered investment adviser, registered investment company, broker/dealer or mutual fund, with two to four years of management experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with SEC, FINRA, and/or ERISA regulations preferred.
- Strong relationship management skills, including ability to interact with individuals at various levels internal and external to the company.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient analytical skills and ability to take appropriate action under tight time constraints.
- Proven project management skills.
- As required, ability to obtain FINRA licenses (e.g., series 7, 24 and 63) within 6 months.
- The position is considered an “Access Person” position under Vanguard’s Code of Ethics. You should be aware this will designate you as a Fund Access Person and carries with it certain responsibilities and restrictions. For more information see the following article.
- Travel for seminars or site visits may be needed.
- One position is available. Crew in PA and AZ will be considered.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.