Sr. Manager, Government Relations, State Affairs
Washington, DC – Statewide
June 3, 2019
Duties and Responsibilities
– Advance the interests of Vanguard and its shareholders, clients and crew with state and local governments.
– Provide expert level information, counsel, and guidance on Vanguard issue priorities and strategic objectives.
– Lead advocacy efforts on assigned state-level government relations priorities.
– Assist team in providing expert counsel to senior management on government relations developments.
– Work closely with internal stakeholders to understand Vanguard’s business interests as they relate to state-level government relations developments; involve subject matter experts as appropriate; assist with the development and management of internal working groups.
– Provide high quality verbal and written reports on assigned issues and activities. Prepare issue backgrounders, talking points, position papers, meeting reports and other materials.
– Establish, nurture and deepen relationships with state-level government officials and strategic external counterparts.
– Strategically engage with appropriate coalitions, trade associations, external stakeholders, consultants, and others.
– Help raise the performance of the entire Government Relations team.
– Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
– Effective expert, strategist, and advocate for Vanguard state and local policy positions.
– Manages the effective and timely communication of policy developments affecting various business & other stakeholders.
– Undergraduate degree; relevant graduate degree preferred.
– Minimum of 5 to 10 years of experience in public policy or government relations, including state-level government relations experience.
– Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
– Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work productively in a team-oriented work environment.
– Strong political acumen; strong ability to grasp complex issues; collaborative approach.
– Thorough understanding of how state-level government relations works, and an ability to be effective with members of both political parties.
– Experience with persuasively communicating complex concepts to policymakers and business leaders.
– Ability to work quickly and independently; attentive to detail; sensitive to deadlines.
– Excellent problem solving skills; self-motivated; strategic thinker; results-oriented.
– Strong PC skills (Microsoft Office).
Additional Desired Qualifications:
– Strong presentation skills to update diverse internal audiences regarding public policy developments and the effects of such developments on businesses and clients.
– Effective public speaker and ambassador for speeches and webcasts to external client audiences about public policy developments and their impact on clients.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.