Senior Engagement Manager – Investment Audits
Melbourne, Victoria, AU
April 9, 2019
This position will focus heavily on Vanguard’s investment groups and their portfolio management and trading processes. In this role, you will perform risk-based engagements across a broad spectrum including market and liquidity risk, credit risk, compliance and operational risk.
You’ll also perform advisory engagements across a breadth of portfolio management, trading and risk management areas to evaluate management’s internal control environment. You’ll work with a strong team and have significant exposure working directly with the front office client groups and senior leadership.
To be best positioned for success in the role, you should bring with you strong conceptual thinking, intellectual curiosity and analytical skills. You should also be comfortable working independently, within a team, and in a highly matrixed environment, involving common audit leadership in both the UK and Australia. Strong communications skills will also be needed to draft and deliver clear messaging for various levels of management.
The Global Investment Audit Services team provides audit and advisory services supporting investment management, external advisors, investment accounting and administration, corporate finance and accounting and enterprise risk management processes. We are hard-working highly motivated and engaged professionals who consistently deliver high-quality work in a dynamic team environment.
- Responsible for a business line/segment of the audit plan which includes being accountable for the related annual/ongoing risk assessments, assisting in determining the audit and advisory plan as well as determining resource needs. Establishes and maintains relationships with management across aligned division and risk partners (including legal, compliance, info security, fraud).
- Manages overall audit and advisory engagements to ensure the timely delivery of the highest quality work and value-add recommendations. May oversee multiple engagement teams concurrently working in a matrixed team environment.
- Develops a thorough and comprehensive understanding of the processes, issues, pertinent regulations and risks associated with engagement scope. Assesses the adequacy of the control environment, identifies control gaps and opportunities for continuous improvement and relates it division and enterprise-wide, as appropriate. Performs audit work and analysis on complex audit areas. Provides opinion on audit and advisory findings, ratings and recommendations to senior management.
- Effectively communicates and clearly articulates the objectives, status and results of assigned work, both orally and in written form, to various levels of management. Influences senior management (department heads and officers) to act on recommendations to strengthen the control environment and make process improvements.
- Serves as trusted advisor and consultant to the department and business leaders to share knowledge and perspective on topics related to governance, risk, control and areas of expertise. Participates directly in the Investments business’s control committees and governance forums where applicable. The scope of the business supported is broad-reaching to include Asia-Pac relationships in addition to leaders in the local Melbourne office.
- Participates, and at times leads, team, department and/or divisional projects to effectively deliver on operational and strategic goals.
- Communicates expectations and reviews work of audit team to provide coaching and feedback to aid in their development.
- Recruits, trains, and develops auditors to ensure that an efficient and high standard of auditing is maintained.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a business related field of concentration or equivalent combination of training and experience. Professional certification or advanced degree (e.g., CFA, FRM, CPA, CIA, or MBA) is a plus.
- Strong experience in audit, risk or controls within the asset management, investment banking, and/or capital markets businesses.
- Ability to present findings and industry insights to senior leaders across the company.
- Strong conceptual thinking aptitude and ability to persuade and influence others, specifically having a positive impact on the risk and control culture within the region.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a complex, dynamic, and fast-paced environment with strong inherent project execution skills, including: prioritizing tasks, balancing workload between multiple projects, anticipating next steps, adapting to changing situations and project scope.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including: written and verbal communications, willingness to assist in areas outside of direct assignments when necessary, and commitment to self-improvement and completion of team objectives.
- Experience in situations requiring diplomacy. Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent relationship skills and client focused mindset.