Data Engineer – Financial Advisor Services
Malvern, PA, US
Scottsdale, AZ, US
April 24, 2019
The individual selected for this role will be considered a Business Data Engineer who will serve as a subject matter expert for all data sets and repositories leveraged within the Financial Advisor Services (FAS) division, specifically Mutual Fund Administration (MFA). The candidate will be responsible for transitioning and centralizing MFA data to structured repositories for analyses, experimentation, report generation, and data management. The candidate will also demonstrate a high level of expertise relating to Transfer Agency, Operations, and/or Transaction data.
The Business Data Engineer role is unique – The individual who holds this role will play an integral role within our Data & Analytics (DnA) program by creating the data pipelines, and sets, necessary for enabling best-in-class analytics and operational decision making. This individual will gain exposure to all levels of management, enterprise wide, and be able to hone their functional data engineering capabilities, presentation skills, and financial acumen throughout their time in the role.
The intermediaries the MFA business supports account for ~$2T in assets and over 50M transactions per year. While the MFA business is going through a broad transformation, the Business Data Engineer will play a vital role in shaping the MFA data domain. Work of the individual selected for this role will have direct impact on both MFA and DnA business strategy and organizational design. Join us in making it happen!
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Builds advanced knowledge base and serves as subject matter expert for all FAS data sets, especially Mutual Fund Administration (MFA). Demonstrates a deep understanding of the sourcing, structure, and inter-connections of FAS MFA data sets.
2. Leverages advanced knowledge of FAS data sets to collaboratively work with business and IT resources to transition and centralize data to structured repositories and relational databases for analysis, experimentation, report generation, and data management.
3. Proactively works with FAS Data and Analytics resources to document business use cases, gather requirements, and structure and format data sets for data analytics and reporting.
4. Demonstrates subject matter expertise of Transfer Agency, Operations, and/or Transaction data.
5. Continues to discover and implement new data sources and data integration techniques that are beneficial to clients who self-provision data.
6. Provides consultation and project management input to IT and business partners on strategic data projects and other data related initiatives.
7. Provides consultation and assistance as needed to ensure ongoing success of the functional efforts of the FAS data governance and quality programs (e.g. data quality management, data cleansing, and third party data vendor management).
8. Captures statistics and trends for departmental metrics and dashboards; suggests ideas to enhance efficiencies relating to FAS data and associated processes.
9. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years’ analyst, developer, or DBA experience.
- Experience with centralizing large volumes of data (structured and unstructured) from disparate data sources for use in analytics and reporting is strongly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL, and programming languages with object-oriented programming features (e.g. Python, R).
- Extensive experience using one or more of the following data sources: Enterprise, Data Warehouse, VAST, VISTA.
- Strong working knowledge of data tools and technologies such as AWS, Apache Spark, Cognos, Oracle BI, and MS Access/Excel is strongly preferred.
- Experience with analysis of industry products and services relating to financial data is strongly preferred.
- Experience with data architecture, system design, and data quality management is preferred.
- Strong written communication to gather requirements and develop business use cases.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; ability to collaborate effectively with IT and business resources.
- Detail oriented with solid project and time management skills; ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Client focus and relationship building skills.
- Professional presence to interact with all levels of management.