Malvern, PA, US
June 10, 2019
At Vanguard, our mission is to help investors meet their financial goals, and that starts with providing the analytical insights they need. The intelligent use of data is essential to helping our business develop new capabilities and solutions. As a Data Engineer you’ll analyze data and informational requirements and deliver the best data solutions to internal Vanguard clients. Make it count
In this role, you will
- Create sophisticated data solutions to business problems.
- Translate business specifications into design specifications and code. Responsible for writing complex programs, ad hoc queries, and reports using team procedures and tool selection guidelines. Ensure that all code is developed in a well-structured manner – includes sufficient documentation – and is easy to maintain and reuse.
- Continue to discover and implement new data sources and data integration techniques that are beneficial to clients who self-provision data.
- Lead all phases of development. Explain technical considerations at related meetings, including those with internal clients and less experienced team members. Test code thoroughly for accuracy of intended purpose.
- Understand and enforce team development guidelines. Mentors staff with less experience. Resolve issues elevated from staff with less experience.
- Partner with internal clients to enhance understanding of business functions and informational needs. Maintain a broad understanding of Vanguard’s technologies, tools, and applications, including those that interface with business area and systems.
- Design and conduct training sessions on tools and data sources used by the team and self provisioners. Provide supporting documentation to team members and business partners as needed.
- Understand, comply with and enforce team policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones. Understand, comply with and enforce all Information Security policies and procedures, and verify deliverables meet Information Security requirements. Adhere to risk controls as defined by Data, Reporting & Analytics within the division.
Discover new approaches to complex business problems
Your real passion for data, along with your ability to communicate complex ideas through storytelling and visualization, will contribute to the development of new ways of doing business. You’ll collaborate with a high performing, cross-disciplinary team including advanced data analysts, data engineers, consultants, and market researchers-all backed by Vanguard’s sophisticated modeling and data management tools. If you’re driven to run projects that uncover innovative ways of investing, you could launch a dynamic career, helping to serve over twenty million clients, worldwide and transforming the way our industry operates. Invest your skills for the benefit of our clients and we’ll invest in your future.
What it takes
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum of three years analyst, developer, or DBA experience
- Strong SQL and query performance tuning skills.
- Knowledge of Vanguard digital properties
Strong knowledge of one or more of the following: Python, Spark, Hadoop, Hive, SQL, EasyTrieve, WEB Trends, Tea Leaf, EXCEL and MS Access
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you get so much more in return. We invest with purpose-and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let’s make it count.
Inclusion at Vanguard
Vanguard’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: ‘Do the right thing.’
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard’s core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard’s core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this role.