Introduction and Policy Scope
The Vanguard Group (“Vanguard”) is one of the world’s largest and most respected investment management families of companies, with investment funds, offices, and affiliates in North America, Australia, Europe, and Asia. Vanguard’s global headquarters are located in the United States. For information about Vanguard-affiliated companies (“Vanguard Affiliates”) outside the US, please visit here.
Vanguard Careers, http://vanguardjobs.com (the “Site”), is a website owned by Vanguard. At Vanguard Careers, persons interested in employment with Vanguard may browse and apply for open positions at Vanguard.
By visiting this Site, applying for an open posting, or otherwise providing information to Vanguard through this Site, you acknowledge the practices described in the policy. Please also refer to the terms and conditions, which are incorporated herein by reference, for additional information related to your use of this Site.
Vanguard collects information directly from you when you apply for employment or register for our Talent Community. We also collect information about you automatically as you navigate our site.
What personal information do we collect?
Vanguard may collect the following personal information from you:
- Personal information we collect when you apply for employment: To apply for an open position through this Site, you must first create an account on our application processing system. In order to create an account, you’ll need to provide your email address and create a password. You are able to complete the account creation process without applying for a position. You may also save and come back to an application after creating an account. The information that we require you to submit as part of your employment application through this Site varies depending on the particular position and the Vanguard affiliate company to which you are submitting your application. If you would like to apply for an open position through this Site, we may collect the following, where permitted or required by law:
- your full name
- postal mailing address
- preferred telephone number
- email address
- work history
- educational background
- language skills
- professional licenses (e.g., bar membership)
- legal residency status
- limited medical information (e.g., results of drug testing)
- criminal record information
- whether you’ve previously held or applied to any Vanguard positions
- referral information
- any information provided on your resume/CV
- We may also collect voluntary self-identification questions including gender, race/ethnicity and veteran status. We use this information to help ensure that our hiring and promotion practices do not unintentionally discriminate against any group, we maintain records concerning the gender, race/ethnicity for our applicants. This information is not used in making employment or promotion decisions and is kept separate from applications and personnel files. You are not required to provide this information; your decision to disclose or not disclose this information will have no bearing upon Vanguard’s consideration of your resume.
- Personal information we collect when you register for our Talent Community: To stay up to date regarding our latest career opportunities you may create a profile on our Talent Community, which is provided by Symphony Talent, a service provider. A profile on our Talent Community is separate from the account creation and employment application process discussed above. If you choose to create a profile on our Talent Community, you will be asked to create a username and password. We will also collect the following information:
- your full name
- zip code
- email address
- cell/mobile phone number (optional)
- current or last job title
- level of education
- area of interest
- information you provide on your resume/CV
- your preferred job title
- your preferred job location
- your relocation and travel preferences
You can choose to join the Vanguard Talent Community by logging into one of your social networks, including Facebook, Google, and LinkedIn. If you join using a social network, Vanguard will use information from your social network profile to complete your Talent Community profile.
You can also opt-in to receive job alerts via email and be contacted directly by our recruiters should a job matching your profile become available. You may opt-out of this at any time via the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the job alert email or within your Talent Community profile.
Providing us with some types of personal information is optional. Other types of personal information are required in order to process your application for employment with us, to comply with a contractual requirement, or to comply with our legal obligations. If you do not provide all required personal information, it may affect our ability to process your application and therefore to enter into an employment relationship with you.
What personal information do we collect about Site usage?
The Site uses a variety of technologies, such as cookies, web beacons, and similar mechanisms, as described further below, to collect information that helps us understand how the Site is used. Specifically, when you visit the Site, we or our service providers may automatically collect a variety of technical and navigational information about you via these technologies, including as applicable: your computer or device type; operating system version; browser type and version; user agent string; internet connection type; mobile network provider; date and time of your visit; time since your last visit; web pages you view; links you click; searches conducted on the Site; the internet protocol (IP) address used to access the Site; and your general geographic location (e.g., your city, town, or zip code). We also may use similar tracking technologies in emails that we or third parties send to you, as further described below. When you visit the Site, you have the ability to accept or decline these cookies and other tracking mechanisms, except those that are strictly necessary in order for you to enter and move around the Site and use essential Site features, and you can change your preference at any time.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is stored on your computer, tablet, mobile phone, or other device when you visit a website. Cookies contain information that is transferred to or read on your device and allow websites to recognize devices and store certain information, such as user preferences. Cookies are used to distinguish you from other users of the Site. This helps us to provide you with a useful experience when you browse the Site and also allows us to improve the Site. We and our third-party service providers use session cookies, which link your actions during a particular browser session and expire at the end of that session, as well as persistent cookies, which remain on your device for a pre-determined amount of time and allow us to remember your actions or preferences across multiple browser sessions.
How to refuse and delete cookies
If you are concerned about having cookies on your computer, you can set your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being set, allowing you to decide whether to accept it. You can also delete cookies from your computer. The help feature on most web browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to receive notice when a new cookie is set, and how to disable cookies altogether. However, if you choose to block or delete all cookies, certain features of the Site may not operate correctly.
The cookies used on our Site are categorized as follows:
- Necessary Cookies: These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging into your account, or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work.
- Performance Cookies: These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
- Functional Cookies: These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalization. They may be set by us or by third-party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies, then some or all of these services may not function properly.
- Targeting Cookies: These cookies may be set through our site by our us or our advertising partners. They are generally used to show you relevant advertisements when you visit other websites.
To opt out of receiving certain cookies on our website, change the toggle button to “Off”, then click the “Confirm My Choices” button to save your preferences.
The Site and some emails that you may receive from Vanguard use a technology known as a “web beacon” (also known as a “pixel tag” or “clear gif”). A web beacon is an electronic file that usually consists of a single-pixel image. We and our service providers may use web beacons and cookies to determine whether and when you receive and open our emails; these beacons and cookies may also capture information such as the type of device, operating system, email program, and web browser used to view the email, the IP address from which you opened the email, and whether you click on any links in the email.
How do we use personal information?
We use personal information that we collect for the purposes described in this Policy, for the purposes for which it was provided to us, as required by law, and for our business purposes, including:
- To establish a profile for you on Vanguard Careers and/or through the Talent Community;
- To process your employment application and assess your suitability for one or more vacancies;
- To notify you of job opportunities matching your interests. For example, if you register for our Talent Community and opt-in to receiving email job alerts, you will receive email alerts regarding potential jobs;
- To comply with our legal obligations and protect our legal rights, including to comply with record-keeping and reporting;
- To count and recognize visitors to the Site, provide various Site features, and better understand how users access and use our Site;
- To support Site performance, perform Site analytics, enhance Site navigation, and improve our web design and functionality.
To whom do we disclose personal information?
We will disclose personal information to the following types of recipients for the following purposes.
- Affiliates: We disclose personal information to Vanguard Affiliates and related companies for the purposes described in this Policy. Should you choose to sign up for our Talent Community, the information you provide will be available to all Vanguard Affiliates and they may contact you regarding open positions matching your interests.
- Service Providers: We disclose personal information about you to our service providers in order to process your application, maintain your Talent Community profile, send you job alerts, or to facilitate other services that are performed on our behalf. Our service providers are selected partly on the basis of their information security capabilities, and we put in place contract terms to protect your personal information.
- Legal purposes: We may use and disclose personal information about you as we believe reasonably necessary to courts, parties to litigation, government authorities, law enforcement agencies, and legal and professional advisers to protect the rights and property of Vanguard and Vanguard Affiliates, including to establish legal claims or defenses, to obtain legal advice, to defend our legal rights, to protect our rights or property and those of Vanguard Affiliates, to protect other users of our services and our Sites, and to protect the life, body, or property of others (individuals or entities). We also may disclose information about you in order to comply with the law, judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order, subpoena, or direction.
Cross-Border Transfer of Information
Vanguard generally maintains centralized servers and systems in the United States and may maintain servers and systems elsewhere. These servers and systems are managed by or on behalf of The Vanguard Group, Inc., or Vanguard Affiliates located in or outside the United States. By using our Site or otherwise providing your personal information, you acknowledge that your personal information may be transferred to and processed in jurisdictions other than your own. Please be aware that the data protection laws and regulations that may apply to your personal information transferred to the United States or other countries may be different from the laws in your country of residence. If you are a resident of a country other than the United States, please click here for more information.
Personal Information Quality
Vanguard relies on the accuracy of the information provided by its applicants. If any information about you changes or you have any concerns regarding the accuracy of information about you held by Vanguard, you should contact us at the address provided in the Contact us section below.
You must be over the age of 18 to apply for a job at Vanguard. The Site is not directed to children under the age of 18, and Vanguard does not knowingly collect information from individuals under the age of 18.
We use commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction in accordance with applicable law. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security all of the time. If you have established an employment application account, we recommend that you take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any privacy related questions regarding the recruitment process, please email us at email@example.com.
When we update this Policy, we will post changes on this Site along with the effective date of the changed policy. We recommend that you review this Policy periodically.
Revised January 2023